Monday, January 19, 2015

Potty Training

We had potty training boot camp 2 weekends ago.  Since its been so cold, it was easy to decide to stay inside.  So we were confined to our house Saturday and Sunday.  Sunday we decided not to go to church so we could work on potty training more.  He's been going potty before bath time for a while and we've recently tried to get him to go before or after he wakes up.  I bought him special Thomas the Train underwear for him to wear.  Saturday we put them on him and told him to let us know when he had to go potty.  I think we had about 3-4 accidents on Saturday where he just stood there and peed in his underwear and the floor and as he was peeing he told us he had to go pee pee.  Then we had to explain to him he needed to tell us so he go on the potty.  For the most part we had a great first day.  He learned to tell us when he had to go and we helped him in the bathroom.  He has to strip down naked to go and has to get a piece of toilet paper to stick in the toilet, just because.  Then he loves to flush the toilet.  He is very OCD and has to do things himself and in a certain way.
He did so well over the weekend that we don't have to ask him if he has to go he usually will go to the bathroom himself. At bedtime or naptime if he is already in the bed with a diaper he will still call us and tell us he has to go pee pee. I guess he for some reason he doesnt want to go in his diaper.
Monday I had to handle potty training by myself and juggle a baby too. We went over to a friends house. I put him in a pull up just on case. I wasn't quite ready for him to wear underwear in the car. Over at my friends house he told me when he had to go. We were very proud of him.  Tuesday we stayed home and we had no accidents.  We hadn't had a successful poop in the potty yet. Thankfully Wednesday Brian was home from work.  After 2 days of potty training with Jaxon I needed some back up.  Its sometimes hard to help him to the bathroom if I am in the middle of feeding Kaelyn.  While Brian was home Jaxon said he had to go poop and went into the bathroom and I helped him get his clothes off and he went.  We were so proud of him that he did it with no problems.  He was so proud of himself.  So glad that Brian was home to witness it.   We had to face time the grandparents to let them know too.  The tricky part is going to be running errands with Jaxon and handling Kaelyn too.  I might be running errands after Brian gets home.  Not sure how to handle him stripping down naked and touching the toilet and everything in a public bathroom.  I did go to the children's museum this week and put Jaxon in a pull up just in case.  Thankfully our friends met us there.  When we got there he still told me when he had to go to the bathroom and my friend was able to help me with him in the bathroom since I was wearing Kaelyn.  It was a little more difficult to squat down on the floor to help him.
Whenever he goes down for a nap or to bed he calls us through the monitor to let us know when he needs to go.  Part of me feels like he's doing it just so he can get out of bed and then I feel bad because I don't want to discourage him from going to the bathroom.  Its frustrating sometimes  because he is so OCD and has to be independent and do things his way.  He loves to play around and take forever in the bathroom.  Sometimes it takes him a while to finally go to sleep.
This past weekend was our first long road trip to visit with my aunt and uncle and my grandmother in South Carolina.  Thankfully Brian came too and could help me with taking Jaxon to the bathroom.  If we didn't make any stops it would have taken us 3.5 hours to get to our destination, but instead it took longer. I think we stopped 5-6 times for Jaxon to go to the bathroom.  Of course he didnt' have to go for a few of those stops.  We put him in a pull up just in case.  He kept his diaper dry the whole trip.  We kept him in a pull up for most of the weekend just because we were in different places but he still told us when he had to go.  
We are so proud of him.  









No comments:

Post a Comment